Ryan Colby Passaro
Colby Passaro is a 4th year medical student at the . He graduated from University of Tennessee Health Sciences Centerwith an MD and from Vanderbilt University with a bachelor’s degree in Subaltern Studies. Colby worked in community organizing as a campaign director for Grassroots Campaigns before returning to Vanderbilt to do community-based clinical research and complete an MPH in Global Health. His international research has been centered around the prevention of infectious disease in vulnerable populations in Latin America, specifically Argentina and Peru. He is a fluent Spanish-speaker.
His clinical interests include the social determinants of health, community-engaged research, and quality improvement projects for better patient outcomes. He would also like to expand his knowledge of public policy in order to better understand the ways in which public health research and programming intersect and can impact the community at large.
Colby is currently an Emergency Medicine resident at USC/Los Angeles County Medical Center.
1) Passaro RC, Segura ER, Perez-Brumer A, Cabeza J, Montano SM, Lake JE, Sanchez J, Lama JR, Clark JL. Body Parts Matter: Social, Behavioral, and Biological Considerations for Urethral, Pharyngeal, and Rectal Gonorrhea and Chlamydia Screening Among MSM in Lima, Peru. STD (2018) 45 (9): 607-614.
2) Passaro RC, Ramsey K, Segura ER, Lake JE, Reback CJ, Clark JL, Shoptaw S. Speed Kills: Associations between Methamphetamine Use, HIV Infection, Tobacco Use, and Accelerated Mortality among Gay and Bisexual Men in Los Angeles, CA 20 Years After Methamphetamine Dependence Treatment. Drug and Alcohol Dependence (2019) 195: 164-169.
3) Perez-Brumer AG, Passaro RC, Oldenburg CE, Garcia J, Sanchez J, Salvatierra HJ, Lama JR, Clark JL. Homophobia and Heteronormativity as Dimensions of Stigma That Influence Sexual Risk Behaviors Among Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM) and Women (MSMW) in Lima, Peru: A Mixed-Methods Analysis. BMC Public Health (2019) 19 (1): 617.
4) Blair CS, Passaro RC, Segura ER, Lake JE, Perez-Brumer AG, Sanchez J, Lama JR, Clark JL. Sexual Network Characteristics of Men Who Have Sex with Men with Syphilis and/or Gonorrhoea/Chlamydia in Lima, Peru: Network Patterns as Roadmaps for STI Prevention Interventions. STI (2019) 95 (5): 336-341.
5) Passaro RC, R. Segura ER, Lama JR, Sanchez J, Lake JE, Shoptaw S, Clark JL. High-Risk, but Hidden: Binge Drinking Among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Transgender Women in Lima, Peru, 2012-2014. Substance Use and Misuse: In press.
6) Passaro RC, Castañeda-Huaripata A, Gonzales-Saavedra W, Chavez-Gomez S, Segura ER, Lake JE, Cabello R, Clark JL. Contextualizing Condoms: A Cross-Sectional Study Mapping Intersections of Locations of Sexual Contact, Partner Type, and Substance Use as Contexts for Sexual Risk Behavior Among MSM in Peru. BMC Infectious Diseases: In press.